DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

I am a 35 Year old male. I am 63 and weigh 230 lbs.

I am a 35 Year old male. I am 6'3 and weigh 230 lbs. My father had open heart surgery in 2004 for an aortic aneurysm. His doctor asked to see me for a checkup. Last year i had an echocardiogram. The size of my ascending aorta was measured at 4.1 Cm. I was told everything was fine. However for two years i have been having shortness of breath, chest pains, and extreme trouble sleeping and staying asleep. I had another "echo" this year. The echo showed a measurement of 4.8 with a follow up CatScan showing a 5.0Cm aneurysm. My question is, is it possible for an aneurysm to grow that fast? and with that measurement.. is that why i cant sleep? Please help!
HelloCustomer

Yes aneurysms can definitely grow that fast & can cause chest pain, breathlessness, anxiety & resultant sleep problems ; though many of the cases are asymptomatic.
Do consult a cardiothoracic surgeon for evaluation. A rapidly growing, large & symptomatic aortic aneurysm may need surgery.
For more information, please read this.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to DoogleNK's Post: My Doctor says she wants to monitor my aneurysm. However from my research, i think it is likely that my surgeon, who i will meet with in two weeks will want to operate. My question is... if it is up to ME, what should I do?
HelloCustomer

I think a symptomatic, large & enlarging aneurysm better be operated to prevent risk of rupture. You would need to discuss the risks & benefits in your case with the surgeon.