Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

My tongue is very red only on the tip and

My tongue is very red only on the tip and feels like tastebuds are raised. This happened last year early summer in the same place and went away on its own after a month or so. I thought it was an allergic reaction to pineapple last year, but this year it''s back. I took antibiotics for a sinus infection about three weeks ago. I am 38-year-old female, 105 pounds, was anemic during pregnancy. The internet doesn''t have much info. I don''t think it''s thrush - I have no white patches. I put hydrogen peroxide on it and the rest of my tongue bubbled, but not the tip. There seems to be no coating on this area. I''m rambling. Very uncomfortable.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 8 years ago.

Is your tongue sensitive on the red area? or on any other area?

Do you have any cough or sore throat now?

Do you have cracks or sores at the corners of your lips?

Are you anemic now? Do you know your hemoglobin level?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, it's sensitive on the tip, kind of like a swollen taste bud - times ten. No sore throat or cough. I don't know if I'm anemic or not. Haven't been tested. Went to pharmacy and got vitamin B and iron last night in case of deficiency.

Anemia or vitamin b deficiency would have caused the entire tongue to become sensitive and reddish.

I suspect that what you have is either an inflamed taste bud - possibly as a result of a bite or a small blister or sore on the tip of the tongue.

While taking supplements will help, it will be better if you use a mouthwash containing chlorhexidine, available OTC. This is an oral antiseptic.

You need to also get a test to see if you have herpes infection (HSV1).

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I can't accept your answer just yet. It is not only one taste bud, but probably about an inch to an inch and a half of the tip of my tongue with several - at least 20 - raised taste buds and also the natural tongue coating is missing on that area. Also, it is happening at the same time as last year, concurring with summer and maybe more sun exposure.   It does not resemble a blister at all and I have never had a cold sore. It's almost as if the tip of my tongue has been constricted and isn't getting blood flow, with slight tingling and numbness. What kind of doctor would you recommend that I see? Dentist or GP or ENT?

Please see a dentist - you should get more help.