Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

I have pain and swelling on the left side of my body.

I have pain and swelling on the left side of my body. It all started with poking and jabbing pain in my chest under my left peck. Seen a cardeologist and i have svt. but thats not the cause of the pain, they say. now my left shoulder, back, left peck and under my armpit is in pain and swollen. also sharp pain in my elbow and hip. Tried muscle relaxers and ibprophen no change. Whats my problem?

This could be RSDS, or Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophic Syndrome which can often present initially with numbness or pain on one side of the body.

RSDS is due to the parasympathetic nerves being affected, which control the circulation, and thus can cause numbness or pain. It usually affects only one limb or one side of the body initially although later both sides can be affected.

You should consult your doctor and discuss about RSDS and to rule it out.

You may consult this link for more info:
http://ww2.arthritis.org/conditions/DiseaseCenter/rsds.asp

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: these syptoms are relieved by by rest or sleep most of the time but start to come on more and more strong through out the day and my neck gets tense like something is smashing my esophegus
You should consult your doctor and discuss about tests for RSDS.

RSDS is alikely cause since cardiac causes have already been excluded .