DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

My father-in-law is a 94 year old male with diabetes. He ...

My father-in-law is a 94 year old male with diabetes. He recently developed gangrene in his toe while in the nursing home. It has spread to his other leg. His blood work up numbers are down from previous pneumonia bouts this last spring. Our doctor, my wife and brother-in-law think amputation is not an option. We don''t think he would make it three if they begin to do surgery because of no circulation to his periphreal blood vessels in his feet. Comments? Suggestions?     Dan Eidson
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
Gangrene of the toe means the toe is dead & there is no way it can survive. Besides, he is probably already in septicemia (infection spreading through blood to other organs including heart). I dont think there is any other option for treatment . This amputation may be life-saving for him.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.