Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

is there a medication similar to glucophage/metformin

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Do you mean similar in the fact that it will reduce glucose (sugar) levels in the blood, in pill form?

Or an actual medication that works exactly like glucophage (inhibiting a specific enzyme) in the body?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Mark's Post: I am taking glucophage for infertility.
the pill is giving me severe diarhea and some vomiting. so iam looking for a medication that works exatly like glucophage with no side effects. thank you!
Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
How are you currently taking the glucophage? With food or on an empty stomach?

What dose and frequency are you taking this medication?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
with food. pill is 500MG taking one pill two times a day
Personally, most of my patients do very well with Glucophage.

There is one "trick" that I have learned - if you take the Glucophage DURING the meal, rather than at the begining of the meal, the risk of diarrhea is reduced.

Glucophage (metformin) is also available in a time release formulation; Glucophage XR, and this formulation may be better (less risk of diarrhea)

There are other medications that can be used for PCOS/infertility including Avandia and Actos - two other medications that help with similar mechanism (improving the insulin resistance) to Glucophage.

Clomid (clomiphene) is another option for you to discuss with your doctor.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years