Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

would calcification in the abdominal aorta and iliac ...

would calcification in the abdominal aorta and iliac arteries cause weakness in the thigh muscles? Would it cause any symptoms?
Yes, it might.

Calcification in these arteries are almost always associated with atheromas, or collections of fatty tissues which block the arteries. These plaques can impede the blood supply to the lower limbs and this would cause weakness in your lower limbs including thighs.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am seeing a gp and a rheumatologist, neither of whom noted the xray results which stated calcification of the abdominal aorta and iliac arteries. Meanwhile, I have seen a neurologist for nerve conduction tests which were negative. Should I be more forceful about the calcification results?
Yes, you should discuss with your GP for this.

You should be prescribed medicines like cholesterol reducing drugs.

You may also need a Doppler study of the blood flow in your leg if vascular insufficiency is suspected.