A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

What is Diprospan used for?

Diprospan injection is a combination of betamethasone sodium phosphate and betamethasone dipropionate. Like all the brands of betamethasone injectables, it is a corticosteroid anti-inflammatory. It works by reducing the inflammation and swelling that is putting pressure on nerves and causing pain. It can be used for numerous indications including joint injections, gouty arthritis, inflammatory skin lesions and many other problems that are responsive to corticosteroids. It has a huge range of side effects. Skin deterioration, such as in your anecdote, is usually something that is only seen if used to excess - something the health care provider should have stopped before it got to this point. There are various brand names, all prescription medications that should only be used by a medical professional. You can read more about it here:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/betamethsolu.htm

Read full interaction below »

I would like to know some information about Diprospan injections. I heard it helps with gout or arthritis pain. Can you tell me what is this drug is mainly used for? Also, what kinds of side effects I should be aware of? I also heard from a guy that he knows someone used this drug regularly, injecting once a month for ulcer and arthritis pain and eventually his skin tissues got soften or fragile. If someone would to grab hard on the arm or leg the skin can get pelled off. Let me know something like this can be caused by diprospan if you used regularly. Thank you in advance for you responses and suggestions

Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 years ago.