Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

Ive had a stiff neck for a week now. Its has

Customer Question

I''ve had a stiff neck for a week now. It''s has gone away slightly and then returns with vengenance. Should I seek medical attention. I''ve tried every suggested remedy. Ice packs, hot packs, new pillows, tiger balm, a patch, tylenol, aleve. The only thing that surpresses the pain to manageable is advil.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
have you had this type of neck pain before?
and do you have any other pains, down your arms, for example?any other symptoms, like fever or nausea?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Mark's Post: No never had anything like this before. I don't have a fever the most the pain has done is traveled down to my shoulders but it pretty much is settled on my right side of the back of my neck even when I take the pain relievers that pain is consistent and it sometimes shoots up to the base of my head
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
this sounds suspicious for muscle spans due to muscle strain or a small tear in one of the discs in your neck.

Most of the time, the neck pain is self limited, meaning this will likely improve on its own. Should this neck pain continue for more than a couple of weeks, you can see your doctor for an exam and muscle relaxants. Should your pain get worse, or you develop weakness in the arms, go see your doctor right away.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If weakness in my arms were to occur what would that be a sign of?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
If there were weakness in the arms, it could be a sign of a herniated disc in the spine, causing a "pinched" nerve, along with the neck muscle spasms.

This is unlikely to happen without pain radiating into your arms, as the nerve controls both for pain, sensation, and strength.