Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

what can the cause of pinging in my ears/lower back of head

Customer Question

for the past several weeks I have had a pinging............the only analogy i can give is that it is like stretching a rubber band and flicking it......the sound in the lower back of my head/ears is similar. Initially it occurred on occasion during the week when I turned my head. Now it occurs many times a day and and there are 2 pings at a time rather than just one
Submitted: 8 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 8 years ago.

This ringing sound in the ear is called Tinnitus. Tinnitus is described a s ringing, pinging, whooshing, etc. as it can be slightly different in each patient. Tinnitusis caused due to nerve damage in the ear. This can occur with any conditions, the commonest one is aging. Nerve damage can also occur due to exposure to sudden loud noises, due to certain medicines like streptomycin, due to exposure to toxic chemicals, due to diaetes, etc. Any factor which causes nerve damage in the ear can cause tinnitus.There are various treatments for tinnitus. You should approach your ENT doctor and discuss these with him:

Use of the following drugs
: Flunarizine, Niacine, Amitryptilline, Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Acamprosate (Campral). All these drugs have been found to have some effect.

Maskers :
Tinnitus maskers are a common mode of treatment.

Retraining therapy: Tinnitus retraining therapy is also a modality of treatment.

You should discuss these options with your ENT doctor. You can read up about them here:

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.