Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

about 3 hours after eating lunch I started getting gas in ...

about 3 hours after eating lunch I started getting gas in my lower intestines, about 3 hours later i had about of diarreah for about another hour. later i went to the bathroom and released what felt like liquid and when i looked it was blood. I have had the persistant feeling of discomfort in my lower intestines. I''m not nauseated. I just went to the bathroom again and passed liquid and when i looked it was blood. I just retired, and all i have is Medicare A & B at this time. I also got a clean bill of health with my physical.

What color is the blood?

Do you have any history of constipation?

Have you had a fever?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Pauline's Post: red - yes - I've used laxatives all my adult life - the last 2 years I've been using a stool softner only usually once a day

Fresh red blood is usually a sign of hemorrhoids (piles). These can be painful and irritating but are not normally something to be concerned about.

Diet is a factor in hemorrhoids due to link with constipation. The important thing is to avoid constipation before it starts so eating plenty of fruit, veg, fiber and drinking 8 glasses of water a day is essential. Other lifestyle matters include being less sedentary, increase exercise.

However fresh red blood with diarrhea may indicate a more serious food poisoning or inflammatory bowel event so you need to make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible to take a full history and also consider a stool sample analysis.

I will be off line for about an hour but will check back in as soon as possible..