sarahfnp-bc, Family Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  OB, L&D, ER, and family practice, addictions treatment and detox with methadone and suboxone.

Up to how many hours after intercourse can a DNA test be ...

Up to how many hours after intercourse can a DNA test be completed to prove it had taken place?
Category: Health
Expert:  sarahfnp-bc replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the question. I need to follow up with some questions of my own so I fully understand what you are asking.

You are trying to prove that the actual act of penile/vaginal penetration has taken place?

Are you trying to gather DNA evidence from a male or female?

Do you know if the male ejaculated into the female vagina or someplace else?

Let me know so I can try to help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes proof of penetration.
Evidendce from a female.
Ejaculation has taken place.

Thank you.
It's a tricky question as there are a lot of variables. Has the woman taken a shower, douched, or bathed?

Typically when gathering evidence we like to get within 72 hours post intercourse. We don't want the woman to bath, douche, shower, or wash anything. We also want the clothes including panties unwashed because those can also be tested.

Sperm has been collected from the cervix up to 6 days after sex but that is rare and the sperm is usually not whole.

So generally speaking 3 days. The closer to the actual time of sex that evidence is collected the better. But again there are tons of variables including the acidity of the woman's vagina.

I'm sending you a link that has a lot of great information on collection of evidence, time intervals, and variables.

Let me know if you have any other questions.