PatriciaRN, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of nursing experience, 2 in ER, 1 at Planned Parenthood clinic

My skin is easily bruised, scratched and cut. Just the ...

My skin is easily bruised, scratched and cut. Just the least little thing leaves a bruise. Does this mean something?
Category: Health
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 8 years ago.
Hello, djduric,

Some increase in bruising and scratches is normal as we age, because the skin becomes thinner as the fatty deposits beneath it are lessened.

Also, some medications which have a blood-thinning effect can cause more bruising, such as aspirin, coumadin, plavix, or similar. There are some supplements which also have a blood-thinning effect, such as fish oils.

Usually, increased bruising is not a sign of something serious, but it can be. There is often increased bruising in any type of liver disease, as the liver plays a role in blood clotting. Also, in any type of blood clotting abnormality or disease, such as leukemia, excess bruising can be noted.

Here is a link that discusses this in more detail:

I hope this is helpful and please do feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have.