JanelleRPA
JanelleRPA, Physician Assistant
Experience:  25 + years of experience in family practice, internal medicine and family planning

How long can you have Chlamydia and not give it to

How long can you have Chlamydia and not give it to your female partner? Is it something that I could of had foryears and not trransmtted it to her until recently? Is it something that she could of had for several years and not known or shown any symtoms? Does a routine Pap include this testing proceedure?
Category: Health
Expert:  JanelleRPA replied 6 years ago.

Dear sir,

A routine pap smear does not test specifically for chlamydia. Sometimes there is evidence of inflammation and infection on the pap smear but it's non-specific. Most offices offer the opportunity to have STD screening at the time of the pap smear, but women are free to decline to be tested. I test for and treat chlamydia frequently so I believe I can answer your questions but I need to know more first. How long (months or years) have the two of you been sexual partners? When was the chlamydia diagnosed (how long ago) and who was diagnosed first, you or her? Have both of you now been treated? Waiting to hear from you, JanelleRPAC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to JanelleRPA's Post: We have been sexual partners for the last 3 1/2 years. It was her that decided to go to a OBGYN because she told me that she had a different oder and thought originally it might be a yeast infection. This did not do the trick so she then did some kind of test where it test the PH level of he urine and it came back at PH of 7.5 which on the measurement scale was out of whack and she was recommended to seek a professional opinion. I have not been treated, but my ex-wife had it and I do not know if she ever got treatment as it kept comeing back, I think because she is terrible about finishing her meds as recommended by her doctors. So I figured I might be the carrier. I had a stroke in November 2006 and they put me on HARD CORE antibiotics for 12 weeks so I am pretty sure I have been clean since then if I in fact gave it to her after we got together after my seperation from my wife in February 2006. So what do you think?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We have been sexual partners for the last 3 1/2 years. It was her that decided to go to a OBGYN because she told me that she had a different oder and thought originally it might be a yeast infection. This did not do the trick so she then did some kind of test where it test the PH level of he urine and it came back at PH of 7.5 which on the measurement scale was out of whack and she was recommended to seek a professional opinion. I have not been treated, but my ex-wife had it and I do not know if she ever got treatment as it kept comeing back, I think because she is terrible about finishing her meds as recommended by her doctors. So I figured I might be the carrier. I had a stroke in November 2006 and they put me on HARD CORE antibiotics for 12 weeks so I am pretty sure I have been clean since then if I in fact gave it to her after we got together after my seperation from my wife in February 2006. So what do you think
?

Hello again,

As I understand it.... your ex-wife had chlamydia and may not have taken her treatment. You were never treated. At that time, the recommended treatment for chlamydia was doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for a week. If you slept with your ex-wife after her (probably) incomplete treatment for chlamydia, you would have reinfected each other. If your current partner did not have routine GYN exams for several years, or declined STD screening, then yes, both you and your current partner may have been infected for several years. It would be unusual for someone to be without symptoms for that long, but it's possible. You received antibiotics in November 2006, but if your partner was infected at that time, she would have reinfected you. It's important that you both receive treatment, otherwise you will reinfect each other. The recommended treatment now is Azithromycin 1 gm by mouth. Then you need to abstain from intercourse for a week after treatment. I hope this guidance is helpful to you. Best wishes, JanelleRPAC

JanelleRPA, Physician Assistant
Experience: 25 + years of experience in family practice, internal medicine and family planning