Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Just over a year ago I suffered from Hyponatremia as a ...

Just over a year ago I suffered from Hyponatremia as a result of a Colonic irrigation, I lost the sensivitiy in my clitoris almost overnight and it has never returned, I used to have a "normal" libido but my interest has completely dimished, with a total numbness in my clitoris, could I have suffered some nerve damage as a result of the Hyponatremia?? I am 37 years of age. Please help as this is causing me a great upset with my relationship.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.

I want to get some more detail information about your problem-

How long the problem is there? Did it follow the same time with hyponatremia?

What were your symptoms when you were found to be hyponatremic?

Do you have any other disease?

Do you take any medicine?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The loss of libido was one of the symptoms I had when I was found to be hyponatremic, I had also had extreme lethagy, some mental confusion and muscle twitches, I was referred to a number of specialists before being diagnosed with hyponatremia, I don't have any other disease or take any medicine, the hyponatremia was caused by lack of salt in my diet also having a colonic irrigation. Your advice is much appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The libido problem started the same time as the hyponatremia which lasted a few weeks but my libido/sensitivity hasn't returned.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the information .

The hyponatremia usually causes generalized symptoms like what you had - confusion , drowsiness, seizures , loss of consciousness.etc.

However as you were diagnosed with this condition as a manifestation of it & have been seen by many specialist there is nothing much to be advised.

You may consult a neurologist again for reevaluation.

As you have been suffering for a long time & might have studied it , the following article may be useful:

Thank you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am slightly confused, my original question was if you knew if hyponatremia causes loss of libido??
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 8 years ago.
I have not found any literature mentioning hyponatremia as a cause of loss of libido.

You may find here some of the causes of loss of libido in female:

Thank you