Dr F.Faraz
Dr F.Faraz, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,FCPS. Experience in Medicine, Surgery Gynae/OBS and Ophthalmology
9268425

I stopped taking Diovan for blood pressure on Thursday ...

I stopped taking Diovan for blood pressure on Thursday (been on it for several months) because of recurring dizziness. How long should it take for the Diovan and side affects to subside?
Category: Health
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
Did you stop this on your doctors orders.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am beginning to take Bystolic but am holding off to see if I feel less dizzy from stopping the diovan.
Expert:  4ren6 replied 6 years ago.
Did your Doctor take you off the Diovan and then prescribe the Bystolic? Or did you stop this on your own.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I continue to be dizzy and want to have a few days free of Diovan side affects before I begin the Bystolic. How many days should I have to wait.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My doctor prescribed Bystolic to replace the Diovan or maybe use it in conjunction with Diovan. I am to return to the office on Tuesday.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I expect the dizziness to go away in a day or will it take longer?
Expert:  Dr F.Faraz replied 6 years ago.

Hello Cmille Whitely

As the other expert is offline, may be I can try to help you out.

Well diovan is known to cause dizziness and thus your doctor prescribed you with another drug. The half life of Diovan is about 6 hours. Half life of a drug is defined as the time it takes fot the concentration of the drug to be reduced to half in the body and thus doubling this time would lead to the amount of time in which the whole of the drug would be out of the body and would be loosing its affects.

So approximately the time it would take for the drug(Diovan) to get out of your system would be around 12-14 hours.

Its highly recommended that you donot alter the dosage of the drugs as advised by your doctor and should be starting on the bystolic as your doctor has advised.

Hopefully this was helpfull enough and do ask for any further assisstance

Take Care

Dr Faiqa

Dr F.Faraz, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,FCPS. Experience in Medicine, Surgery Gynae/OBS and Ophthalmology