Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

4 days ago, I woke up with severe urinary pain. I am prone ...

4 days ago, I woke up with severe urinary pain. I am prone to UTI''s and so started taking ampicllin, which I keep here at home. I have taken ampicillin in the past for UTI''s and it has worked fine. Although my urinary pain subsided somewhat, it didn''t go away completely. I went to the health food store and they recommended a natural remedy called ''Mannose'', which I started taking yesterday. My urinary symptoms are gone, but I have a mild-moderate dull pain in the lower right side of my back. Is it possible that I have a kidney infection?
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 8 years ago.
YES - unfortunately, many bacteria that cause urinary tract infections are resistant to Ampicillin.

You need to have a urine culture taken to determine the particular type of bacteria and the sensitivity of the bacteria to each antibiotic.

3 days of ampicillin and Mannose are not considered adequate treatment for a urinary tract infection.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can I wait until tomorrow to get in or do I need to go in today?