AndeeRN, Nurse
Experience:  28 years in nursing. Emergency, cardiac, internal medicine, triage for adults and pediatric patient

burning and itching on top of head i have had hair loss

since last june i have had burning and itching on top of head i have had hair loss since then too what could be causeing this i have had alot of stress too would this be why thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  AndeeRN replied 8 years ago.

Dear Wally,

It is difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose a problem like this online, because you need a visual examination, along with perhaps some blood work and scalp biopsies, depending on the examination.

There can be many causes, and combinations of causes, for your problem:

large weight lose

cicatricial alopecia

inflammatory diseases

alopecia areata

and others.

The best thing to do is to contact a dermatologist. They will be the best to diagnose and treat. If it takes you a while to get an appointment, start with your family physician for some help.

I am sorry that I couldn't give you a definitive cause for this, but any skin problems are best taken care of with a visual examination to start off with, followed by possible testing.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best wishes to you,