Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

Customer Question

I was hit by a car 6 years ago and i've lost my sense of smell is there surgery I can have to repair this or is there anything medical I can do
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Head trauma is the number one cause of loss of smell or "anosmia", and is usually due to injury to the olfactory (responsible for smell) nerves as they travel through the base of the skull.

If recovery were to happen, in most cases, return of smell would have occurred within months to a year after the initial injury. The nerves for smell do have the ability to regenerate, but usually would do so over the first few months after injury.

There is no surgical therapy available to fix this, as long as the head injury was the resulting cause of your loss of smell.

There are, of course, other reasons for the loss of smell, but most are temporary and would not have lasted this long.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I was grasping at straws