Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

I am 58 years old and having my tonsils out tommorrow.

I am 58 years old and having my tonsils out tommorrow. I had a tonsil abscess last month and it was extreanly painful, what should I expect tomorrow?

Hello

You can expect some pain tomorrow. However, you can also expect to have some pain medication provided to help you keep it to a minimum.

You will want to make sure that you stay ahead of the pain. By that I mean that you will want to take your medication before the pain feels severe. Studies have shown that if you can do this, you will use less pain medication in the long run. If you wait until it is severe, you will need more to get it back under control.

Another thing you should watch for is excessive bleeding. If you find you are swallowing a lot, or spitting up blood it merits a call to the doctor to be looked at.

Stick with soft, cold foods. Ice cream, puddings, popcycles. Give yourself plenty of rest, plenty of fluids, and your pain medicine and you should feel better by the third or fourth day.

Kerry