Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

My 8 year old daughter vomiting at night ...

Customer Question

My 8 year old daughter occasionally vomits at night. No other symptoms. We saw her pediatrician who put her on prevacid for 30 days. He also told us to avoid chocolate, fried foods etc. We dont have her eat at least 2-3 hrs before bed. She vomited last night again. She had not vomited for approx. 3 weeks prior to that. Any advice?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 8 years ago.

A stomach virus or "flu" is the most common reason for vomiting.Other causes which can cause vomiting in a child are:overeating or stomach upset,food allergies,certain infections,migraine or meningitis,some types of headaches,certain medications.Stress can be an important cause of occasional vomiting.Although there can be a possibility of stomach upset,but this doesn't rule out other possibilities.

Another possibility is of cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS), Its cause is unknown.The episodes tend to start at about the same time of day, last the same length of time, and present the same symptoms at the same level of intensity.If she have another episode of vomiting or she facing major discomfort,then call your pediatrician.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
My daughter is 8 years old. She occasionally has vomiting with no other symptoms. This problem usually occurs at night after going to bed, a few hours later she vomits one to 3 times, and then its over like it never happened. Sometimes it doesn't happen for 2- 3 months, then it can happen 3 weeks apart. She has also vomited after a car trip, after consuming a bottle of water. we have seen her pediatrician, and he placed her on prevacid for thirty days. We have given it to her for about 3 weeks, however she vomited again the other night. It had been 3 weeks since the last episode. She denies any other complaints, or discomfort, and her bowel habits appear normal. I need some advise. Thanks

I have answered you above in previous post.have you read that?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to doctor_charles's Post: I have. I need a little more if possible. Would these symptoms point to reflux? She has no other symptoms.

Yes,as I have told you earlier that stomach upset or reflux esophagistis is one of the common cause.The condition is called Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).The esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.Also there occurs gastritis.It is an inflammation or irritation of the lining of the stomach.

Dont give her fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.Avoid chocolate, garlic and onions, drinks with caffeine, acid foods such as citrus fruits and tomatoes, spicy foods, mint flavorings Avoid those things that irritate her stomach or cause symptoms to flare up.

Prevacid is the right treatment.Continue giving her as prescribed pediatrician.

Hope my answers had helped.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is it common for vomiting to occur but no other symptoms? Thanks. I will accept your answer when I receive this last reply.

Although its not very common,but this can occur.Sometimes one of the symptoms flares up,masking the others or the other symptoms appear later(in case when no treatment is given).Also the only symptom of vomiting can be there in GERD or gastritis.As she had improved with prevacid,continue it giving her.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It does not seem she has improved. She can typically go at least 3-4 weeks without problems. She went 3 weeks then vomited again after being on the medicine for 3 weeks. Should this medicine take longer than that to work?

In most cases this medication show positive results within 2-3 weeks.I advice you to again consult pediatrician.She may need some blood testing or scans to know the exact cause.After the tests exact cause is to be find out & then treat accordingly..Also discuss about the possibility of cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS).