Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

i recently had a baby, it has been about 6 weeks, i really ...

i recently had a baby, it has been about 6 weeks, i really was unwel during my pregnancy, strong indigestion feeling generally unwell, now i had a baby i am still feeling unwell, i can''t eat my food and it worst when i am feeling very hungry, i cant swallow at all and if i try hard i feel so sick or even being sick. i went to see my doctor gave me gaviscon but itsstlii getting worst. i try omeprazole not getting any better. what can i do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 8 years ago.

Please continue with the Gaviscon and the Omeprazole. But please also take the steps given below to feel better:

- Take sips of ice cold water throughout the day from time to time. This will cool the stomach tissue and decrease acid secretion. Ice-creams and cold custard also work, plus since they are semisolid, they have less chances of trickling upwards and causing heartburn.

- Take 4-5 small meals instead of 3 major meals. Ice-cold rice pudding is ideal for you.

- Avoid greasy, fried food .

- Sleep in a propped up position instead of flat on the bed to prevent acid reflux.

- As soon as you wake up in the morning and before getting up from bed, nibble at 2-3 dry crackers. These will absorb whatever acid and gas has collected in your stomach overnight. Lie quietly in bed for another 30 minutes.

- Liquid and solid food is not to taken together. Liquids are to be taken at least 1 hour after solids.

- All fruits should be taken as cold as possible.

- Take an antacid called Mucaine gel. This contains an antacid as well as a local anaesthetic and willl decrease the pain. But it should not be taken for longer than 7 days at a stretch.

All the medicines are available OTC.

If you still do not feel better, you will need to consult your doctor for a gastroscopy as well as a barium meal xray.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the
"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.