Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

My wife recently had the mirena iud implanted ...

My wife recently had the mirena iud implanted (approximately 6 weeks ago), and has since lost most of the sensitivity that she had always felt and demonstrated upon penetration. She says "I just can''t really feel anything up there." This has, understandably, led to frustration for both of us. She is now reluctant to be touched in a way that enters her vagina. though she is still able to achieve clitoral oragasm during intercourse, her enjoyment (and thus my own) is greatly diminished. Is this experience with mirena normal? If so, is there a chance that the sensitivity wil return?

The main problem with mirena iud is irregular bleeding and infection .

But in some cases of mirena IUD there may be decreased libido .

In some it may be due to nervousness.

It should pass off with time ,though definite time limit is not available.

But if it continues you may consult your gynecologist for possibility of other modes of contraception.

I hope this will help. If you need clarifications, please ask.
Press the ACCEPT button if I answered your question .Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello, Dr. Saha,

I am certainly going to accept your answer, but I wanted the chance to follow-up. My wife has always been especially sensitive internally, especially at the cervix during intercourse.

(wife) It is not so much a decrease in libido. I've described it as during sex it feels at times like I have a pillow inside. I know I should feel something, I can feel pressure but nothing inside (as I have always been able).

(Customer) Is it possible that this is due to swelling or some other physical reaction? Would swelling still be present after 6 weeks?

Thank you, again.
There may be an alteration of sense because there is a foreign body present there, but I feel it is more of a nervousness than a real one. You should be able to come over it with the passage of time.

The possibility of physical reaction or infection is there, but it should cause inflammation.
Inflammation will cause pain especially during intercourse.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you , Dr Saha,

We appreciate your time and expertise.