Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified

I have recently been put on aminophylline ...

I have recently been ''put on'' aminophylline tablets for what I was told was mild c.o.p.d.   Does this mean my condition may be worse. Also I find that these tablets make me feel unwell.   I use '' puffers'' as well.   Is it necessary that I need aminophylline as well.   I recently had an exacerbation of the condition and that is when I was put on the tablets   thankyou.   I am 75 years of age and female
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 8 years ago.
If you are doing well on puffers alone I do not think that there would be an additional need to use Theophylline (which is a drug that I rarely use because of its side effects and interactions). If you truely do have mild COPD then, in my opinion, you can do without theophylline. The best thing to do along with these medications would be to quit smoking which is the only thing that is very effective in preventing further decline in the lung function due to COPD.

Kindest Regards