Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

Can I use Laroxyl solution injected and take ...

Can I use Laroxyl solution injected and take Secnidazol?. They say that people who have diseases from the Central Nervous System should not take Secnidazol. To what illnesses do they refer?.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 6 years ago.

I have not come across any studies that indicate that secnidazole has any effect on the central nervous system. Most of the side effects of secnidazole are related to the gut - pain, diarrhea or constipation, nausea, altered taste in the mouth etc. Very rarely, there may be headache or dizzynss, but this is very rare.

There is no reaction between Laroxyl and secnidazole - so you can take them together at the same time.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: If I consulted you, specifically about the possible interaction between Secnidazol and Laroxyl injected, is exactly for two reasons:

1. The literature says, specifically, in the Pharmaceutical Guides, and internet consults I have made, that Secnidal should not be given to individuals that have Central Nervous System Illnesses. Please, check back this information.
2. Because it seems that Laroxyl liquid (intramuscular inyection), is a very potent anti=depresant, and I am afraid of the potential interactions between this 2 medicines. I suffer from depression due to the loss of my father, and I am undergoing an acute treatment for depression.
So, I need to be sure that I won't have an emergency, due to a possible interactions. I believe also that the secnidazol has to be carefully taken by those individuals who take anticoagulants (even aspirin or vitamin E). I do not take either one, but I don't know if that could be a side effect of Laroxyl injected.
Thanks for your attention, I will be waiting for your answer to my doubts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This Dr. insists in my accepting his answer, and authorize the payment, without answering me the follow up questions, that go back, the first one, to an original one (everyone can find in the literature, that Secnidazol should not be taken by individuals who suffer from Central Nervous System Diseases), yet he says he has not come accross information of that kind anywhere....(Just go to Google, and you will immediately find it), although they do not specify what illnesses of the CNS are contraindicated with this medicine.
The second question is also very pertinent, yet I don't find the doctor having taken any action on my follow up questions. Should I authorize payment?. We are still in the same question 1.
Sincerely,
Expecting to hear from you as soon as possible,

Mireya Benaim, Ph.D.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I don't feel that I've received an answer to my question yet.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
HOw can I send the question to all?. The questions are above. The original, and the follow up question, trying to clarify exactly what I need from you?.
Is there a place where it has to be written?
Customer

Sorry for the delay in replying to you. I had to be offline the whole day.

I checked up the side effects of secnidazole again. In all cases, the CNS effects of secnidazole are not detailed. It is simply mentioned that there may be some CNS effects.

It was only by looking up the side effects of metonidazole (which is also an imidazole like secnidazole ) that I managed to come across some neurotoxic effects of this group of drugs.

The commonest neurotoxic side-effect is peripheral neuropathy. Beside these, there may also be convulsive seizures, peripheral neuropathy, dizziness, vertigo, ataxia, incoordination, confusion, irritability, depression, weakness, and insomnia. These effects are all listed under metronidazole but I assume they should not be very different for secnidazole.

Since depression is mentioned as one of the side effects, perhaps it will be better for you not to take any of the drugs of the imidazole family.

And yes, secnidazole as well as all the other medicines of this group (metronidazole, fluconazole, tinidazole, ornidazole etc) potentiates the action of all anti-coagulants like Coumarin and heparin and decreases the effects of birth control pills.

Laroxyl does not cross-react with secnidazole , even when in the injectible form. So these two drugs can safely be used together.

Regards.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice