Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified
8865089

How do you treat an engrown bigtoe nail

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 8 years ago.
Do you have any symptoms with the ingrown toe nail such as pain, redness, swelling, tenderness on touch?
Do you have any other medical problems?

Please let me know.

Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, pain and see redness and tenderness on touch. Other medical problems, I have osteoarthritis in spine and knee's left knee worst then right. Use a cane to walk. Toe is on same side as osteoarthrist knee pain too.
Please help I live alone and don't have much money to spent at doctors office. As I have had neck and back surgery 2006 Fusions on the spine.
I have alot medical bills to pay.
Thanks for your time and help
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 8 years ago.
  • You can start off by soaking your feet for 15 to 20 minutes three times a day, using warm salt water or warm, soapy water. Soaking reduces swelling and relieves tenderness.
  • Also try putting fresh bits of cotton under the ingrown edge after each soaking which will help the nail eventually grow above the skin edge.
  • Using a topical antibiotic and bandage to the tender area will reduce the chances of an infection.
  • Wear open-toed shoes or sandals until your toe feels better.
  • For the pain you can take OTC pain relievers such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) to relieve the pain and swelling.
  • If the above do not improve your symptoms you would have to make an appointment with a podiatrist or doctor for further evaluation and possible clipping or removal of the ingrown nail.

Kindest Regards