Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified

my husband woke up with slight fever, some nauseau, and had ...

Customer Question

my husband woke up with slight fever, some nauseau, and had diarrhea about midnight.   He does not do well with dairy. could goat cheese be the culprit. It was in a dish he ordered last night.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 8 years ago.
Hi there,

Yes lactose intolerance (intolerance to milk and mild products) can cause diarrhea in people who do not have the ability to digest lactose (the carbohydrate found in milk and milk products) appropriately. So yes this could be the reason BUT this should not cause one to have fever. I think that a possiblity of a viral infection (viral gastroenteritis) should also be considered. Both these condition are transient and should go away on their own. All he needs to do is take as much fluids in the form of electrolytes solutions such as pedialyte and gatorade (available OTC) as he can so that he does not develop any electrolyte disturbance. If his condition gets worse or he get repeated episodes of diarrhea that is causing him to become lightheaded or dizzy, he might need to take him to the ER for intravenous fluid administration.