Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

29, healthy male with pain in left side of my chest..rib

Customer Question

i am 29, healthy male with pain in left side of my chest. it feels similar to a cracked/briused rib. however, i have not done anything that would have led to this. also this pain has been there since last night around 8 pm
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Any pain in chest and especially on the left side need high index of suspicion (whatsoever benign it seems) and cardiac / heart causes needs to be excluded by thorough physical evaluation and EKG. So you need to consult a physician and get an EKG. There are some other common causes of chest pain in your age group like costochondritis, but they are considered if the heart is ruled out. Read about the chest pain and costochondritis in these resources;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
if i take ibuprofen, will i jepordize my ability to stay in touch with my body? symptoms match costochondritis. should i be watching for any other tell tail signs?

You can take Ibuprofen. No, there won't be any problem. Pain, going to arm, shoulder, upper abdomen, perspiration, restlessness, breathing difficulty are the signs which tell you about the cardiac involvement.

Dr. Arun