Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I occasaionally experience such extreme heaviness in

I occasaionally experience such extreme heaviness in both of my arms at the same time that it stops me in my tracks. What does this mean?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Since when is this happening? How frequent is this? For how much duration this lasts? Any past significant medical or surgical history? Are you diabetic or hypertensive? Are you a smoker?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It has been happening since January.
It happens every couple of weeks
It last for several minutes.
I am not diabetic or hypertnesive

I am not a smoker

The commonest reason for this symptom is pinched nerves in the neck which can be caused by degenerative disc disease or bone spurs (cervical spondylosis). A MRI of the neck (cervical spine) would be able to diagnose the causative for this abnormal sensation (termed as paresthesia). For your age, I would also like to look in the brain also, for the reason for these feeling of heaviness. A colored doppler study of the neck arteries (called as carotid arteries), which supply blood from heart to brain will determine any occlusion or atherosclerosis in them and chance or risk of thrombus or embolism. Getting a MRI of the brain can also be considered, although chance of origin of these heaviness is more from the neck spine.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun