Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

tip of his tongue..worse case of chapped lips with no carmex at hand

My son has a nervous tic of biting the tip of his tongue. To anyone else it looks like nothing but to him it is horrible pain all day and night. He likens it to the worse case of chapped lips with no carmex at hand and constantly liking it and it gets 100% worse. He feels stupid going to the Dr because it doesn''t look like much but the pain is unbearable. Can you give me some advise that he will listen too? For my son, in this point in his life it is really important. He has battled drug addiction (where he says he devoloped this tic of chewing the end of his tongue). And for the first time he is holding down a blue color job for the monent but if he can stick this factory life out two years they pay for schooling so this is really, really important. Any advise will be heaven sent. Your reply is very important to me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Greetings.

With a consideration that your son has a moderate to severe form of tic, he will require medications for it, which are quite helpful. In most tic disorders which are mild, the majority of patients require no pharmacological / medical therapy. Education and identification of normal patterns of waxing and waning of symptoms are often the only interventions needed. In cases, therapy should be targeted to the symptoms that are particularly troublesome for the patient. Tics most often respond to DA receptor blockers such as pimozide, fluphenazine, haloperidol, and risperidol. Many clinicians prefer pimozide and fluphenazine because they may be less sedating than other neuroleptic drugs. However, all neuroleptics carry a risk of tardive dyskinesia and so would require regular follow-up. The best specialist to consult would be a neurologist.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I just have a question or two. Are these drugs frugs you've mentioned narcotics? Also, he doesn't believe a Dr would believe that little bit he has shaved off his tougne would cause this much pain. Is this true or is this a sensitive enough area that the pain is real. I know his pain is real, he is just a fraid a Dr might not think it is as painful as he is saying.. Does the tounge have that many nerves or whatever to cause this amount of pain? Thank you!

These drugs are not narcotics. Tongue has lot of nerves and it is a very sensitive structure and it can be quite painful. I am very definite, doctor would believe him. There is no reason of not believing.

You are welcome.

Dr. Arun