Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I have had cystitis recently and the doctor ordered a urine ...

I have had cystitis recently and the doctor ordered a urine test. I have had the results of this which show elevated leukocyte reading normal value is under 5000, mine is way up at 300,000. Is this confirmation of an infection or something more synister. I realise that leukocytes are white blood cells. However, the blood results only show 6.62 m/mm3 which is in the normal range of 4-10. I am a 52 year old female.
White cells in the urine are an indicator of infection. While blood may be present in some urine infections, this is less common (and less consistent than white cells)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So are you saying this is more likely to be an infection from the cystitis rather than something worse? I read on the internet that some cancers give elevated white blood cell counts, but didn't know if that applied to urine samples as well. Thanks
The most common cause of white blood cells in the urine is infection.

Typically, the patient is treated with a course of antibiotics, and the urine specimen is repeated folloiwng the treatment to verify that the infection (and the white cells) have cleared.

Generally, I would NOT worry if the white cells cleared up after antibiotic treatment.