Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

My husband noticed a lump at the top of his rib cage, ...

My husband noticed a lump at the top of his rib cage, possibly located at the base of his sternum. It is hard, almost feeling like a bone, but when I pushed on it, I thought I felt something slightly "mushy", but it more feels like a bone. We''ve never noticed this before. Is this something to get checked out or to worry about?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 8 years ago.

Hello

Firstly he need a simple chest X-ray ,just to see if it is of a bony origin or not.If there is pain,it almost always indicates that there is an inflammation process going on. Yes,he should get it checked by the doctor.Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) may be done.In this technique, a thin, hollow needle is inserted into the mass/lump to extract cells that will be examined under a microscope. based on this the exact diagnosis can be made.

Regards

Dr.Charles.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is this something that can be normal or what could a lump in that area be caused from or what could it be

The various possibilities are:sebaceous cyst,haematoma,ganglion,callus formation malignancy,some types of infection or inflammation.The exact diagnosis can only be made after clinical examination by the doctor & FNAC as required.

Hope my answers had helped.