Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

I have had a bloody nose for 3 hours now. How do I make it ...

I have had a bloody nose for 3 hours now. How do I make it stop? There have been some large clots, and it is only one side.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.
Customer

If this has been going on non-stop for over 3 hours and nothing has worked to stop it, then you need to head to the ER. Usually to stop a nosebleed you would pinch all the soft parts of the nose together between your thumb and index finger. Press firmly toward the face compressing the pinched parts of the nose against the bones of the face. Hold for at least 5 minutes and repeat until the nosebleed has stopped. Sit up or lie with your head elevated. You can also apply ice.