Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

i have a pain in my left butt cheek.

Customer Question

i''m a weekend warrior in my early 30''s. over the past year i''m starting to learn that stretching is something i now need to do. a month ago i rode a century bicycle ride. i did the last 60 miles nonstop and 10 miles from the finish my left butt cheek, and pretty much my entire left leg cramped and i felt a "lightning bolt" run down the left leg. i kept riding and it cramped several times in the last 10 miles. now i feel fine and can ride with no pain but if i go for a run i have significant pain in my left butt cheek only when i finish my run. then i feel okay the rest of the day unless i bend over to pick up something off the floor and then i feel a non radiating pain in the left butt cheek. as soon as i straighten up it''s relieved. sitting in a hard chair makes me want to lean over to the right cheek. i think maybe it''s a piriformis or gluteus minimus strain. what do you think? and rest is not an option. ha. ha. any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

I believe you are right on your diagnosis. Good job!

Running can cause stress on the gluteus maximus and piriformis musculature.

With each heel strike, there is a normal internal rotation of the femur, whose motion is controlled by the piriformis musculature; overtraining may cause injury to the piriformis.

Running uphill will cause forward flexion of the pelvis, which in turn may cause a strain of the gluteus maximus musculature (which normally posteriorly rotates the pelvis).

Running injuries leading to sciatica like symptoms can be avoided by changing sneakers every 250-400 miles, at which point the sneaker loses 40% of its shock absorption capabilities.

Initiating a good flexibility and strength program for the lower extremities would help in the prevention of repetitive strain injuries such as sciatica.

Biking with the pelvis flexed too far forward while reaching for the handlebars can also strain the gluteus maximus musculature.

If the handlebars are set too far below the seat level, the rider may be forced to lean too far forward.

A proper bike fitting may help prevent this injury. Be sure to consider bike size, seat height, and handle-bar height/angle.

You might benefit from putting ice on the area 20mins on 20mins off for 1 hour 1x a day.

I know this sounds weird but a deep tissue massage ( better have your wife ok that one) could help.

Tylenol might help since the nsaids are rough on your stomach.

If this persists you might want to see a Sports Medicine Physician.

Best Wishes,

Macy

Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience: RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for the advice. i'm actually a family practice doctor with not much experience in sports medicine so hearing i probably have the right diagnosis is a relief. thanks for the tips and i do think a deep tissue massage would be nice (if cleared by my wife!)
     this is my first time using this website so i think i have to click reply for you to see this message then i guess i can click accept or maybe you have to reply before i can click accept.   thanks again, k.t.
Expert:  Macy RN replied 6 years ago.

You are welcome and thanks for the bonus!

Hope you feel better soon!

~Macy