Victoria, Chiropractor
Experience:  25 years overall experience in health care from hospital-based intensive care to private practice

I have itchy bumps on my skin after doing yard work a ...

I have itchy bumps on my skin after doing yard work a few days ago. I have been looking at photos of poison ivy, oak, etc. None of what I find looks like what I have. They are tiny bumps that look like tiny mosquito bites. Some have a blister about the size of a pin. They itch and are spreading. They are not grouped together. When I put ointment on them they get very red and swollen around them for about an hour, but then they stop itching, lose color and shrink up. Do you know what this could be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Victoria replied 8 years ago.

What kind of ointment are you putting on them that causes them to get very red and swollen?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Blue Star Ointment. But they only stay that way until the ointment for a short time,then I am itch free for hours.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does poison ivy or oak have to be in lines?
Expert:  Victoria replied 8 years ago.
No poison ivy or oak does not have to be in lines. You can have little patches of it all over the place. I would be surprised if your ointment gave you 3 hours of complete relief from itching if you have poison ivy or oak. There are plants that can give you a rash. Usually they are plants with kind of "prickly" leaves, most common of which is tomatoes and cucumbers and squash, but the bumps are not like tiny water blisters, like that of poison oak & ivy. Also, depending on the dose of exposure and sensitivity to the oil of poison oak and ivy, the little blisters usually take 2-3 days post exposure to show up and a rash from irritating plant leaves usually comes on right away. If you put yourself in situations that add risk of exposure to poison ivy, oak or sumac, you should keep "Tecnu" around and wash with it after potential exposure. It will remove the oil from your skin and stop any further reaction. Once it breaks out, use Zanfel. It works fantastically, but can be difficult to find on the shelves, so ask the pharmacist if they have it "behind the counter". The ointment you are using, is normally used to treat funguses such as "jock itch" and ringworm. You may have what is called tinea corporis which gradually advances, extending over more and more skin. If the rash continues to spread, I would go see a dermatologist to make sure that if it is a fungus, it is brought under control.

Hopefully you have found this information helpful. Please do not forget to click accept if the service I provided you was satisfactory, so that I may get credit for my work. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated as well. Thank you.