Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a cyst growing off of my intestines. It is benign ...

I have a cyst growing off of my intestines. It is benign and is close to the surface. It was found a year ago during a CT scan. I had surgery in 1997, a hysterectomy with complications. I almost bled out because and adhesion was attached to my bladder and my bladder tore open during the surgery. I have lots of scar tissue in my abdomen. I way two surgeons last summer who thought the risk of surgery was greater than the risk of the cyst. A year later, I''m having pain from the cyst, it changes size. Had an ultrasound done April 23 and am still waiting for the results. I had previous surgeries( 3 c-sections, gall bladder, and tummy tuck) and never had problems. I don''t know where to go next. I guess I am trying to figure out what type of surgeon I need and one who is really good with scar tissue.   Even though I live where a teaching hospital is I wouldn''t want to have my surgery there. They are short-handed. I live near Pittsburgh PA and willing to travel for this.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

There are two specialists; general surgeons and gastrointestinal surgeons who would be able to handle the intestinal cyst. I agree to you that a symptomatic cyst, which is growing in size needs removal. With a history of many abdominal procedures, adhesions are common and in some people there is more tendency to make fibrous (which are firm) adhesions then the fibrinous (soft) adhesions. Handling the adhesions is an absolutely individual skill and it is very difficult to choose a surgeon just on this basis. As a matter of fact teaching hospitals are the best bet than any other private facility. If you are not willing to go your near by teaching hospital, choose another teaching hospital which is in the vicinity or choose big names like Mayo. Please remember, any surgeon (whatever the specialty) is skilled in managing adhesions. They happen everywhere, at the site of previous surgery. Patience is the key, for handling them. We have seen some abdomens which were frozen with these adhesions. To choose the surgeon, following criteria would be advisable;

1) Who is able to do it laparoscopically than the open surgery

2) Should be experienced

3) Attached to the bigger facility and procedure too is done in the big hospital where other specialist are at hand

4) A general surgeon doing lot of gastrointestinal work

5) References through your friends, relatives and your PCP.

Hope this helps you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun