Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

I have had sharp stomach pains all night and the runs this ...

Customer Question

I have had sharp stomach pains all night and the runs this morning. Stomach pain gets better, then builds up again. I had this same thing 2 weeks ago for about 3 days. I thought it was food poisoning, but now don''t thing so.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 years ago.

Please describe exact location of painful area? Is the pain radiating to back ?

Do you have nausea? Burning urination ?

On a scale of 1 to 10 how will you rate the pain? fever ? any other symptoms?

Age and sex?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it does seem to radiate to my lower back a bit. My period is due Friday, so I thought it was cramps, but no longer think so, but seems to be in the same area. I've gotten a bit of nausea, but it goes away. No burning urination at all. No fever and no other symptons that I can find. I'm 44, female.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 years ago.
Last question-
Is the pain in right side of abdomen ? Please describe the exact site of pain .Are you overweight?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, to answer your last question, when the pain gets bad, it's about a 7...

The pain seems to be in the middle of the abdomen, but closer to the right, I guess. It feels like directly in the center or lower than the abdomen. When I press on my stomach, the pain is directly in the center and my stomach feels extremely bloated. I am overweight for me, for sure, but not too much. I should lose @ 20 lbs. I'm 5'3" and weigh @ 135....
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
did you get my last reply? The computer keeps sending a reply??
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 years ago.
There are two possibilites for the pain- Firstly it can be due to gall blaader stone , and secondly the cause can be appendicitis. You need clinical examination, Ultrasound of whole abdomen, to make a diagnose. Both of these condition are to be handled in emergency. Please do not delay and get examination in ER.
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would that be the cause of the runs too? That's the worst part.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 years ago.

Can you please clear the term - cause of the runs too?

What do you mean by runs?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry, diarrhea. I really don't think the other two options you gave is the problem at all.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 years ago.

I am really sorry, earlier i misunderstood that part.

Loose stools, can cause spasmodic and cramping pain in the abdomen. At this stage , you need to maintain your fluids levels, Dont take any solid food.Also you should Tab Imodium to reduce the frequency of bowel movements . It can be taken maximum up to 4 times a day, as per the requirement You should take tab buscopan to get relief from stomach pain. It is anti-spasmodic..Also take Ready-mixed rehydration sachets (eg Dioralyte, Rehidrat). Most likely this is a viral stomach flu, and will get resolve in 5-7 days.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 years ago.

Also if you have fever / blood in stool /chills , or the symptoms persists for more than 1 week, please see doctor.

Take care