Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Why do I get a red blotchy rash on my legs after being ...

Why do I get a red blotchy rash on my legs after being on my feet for long periods on time?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

I want to get some more detail information about your problem-

How long the problem is there?Is there any swelling in the legs when the blotchy rash appears?

Do you have any other disease?

Do you take any other medicine?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I was away from my computer and will be again after this post. Will check back periodically. This started in my pregnancy with my last child, who is now 4yrs. It only happens when I am on my feet for long periods of time.I have no known disease and am not on any regular medications. Is this autoimmune related and if so who do I see for treatment? This is also the first time the rash has appeared on both legs. It is on my lower legs between the ankles and calfs. There is no swelling involved. the blotches are quite raised and very red, no itching at this point.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

As it appears on prolonged standing & disappears thereafter it is most likely to have some causal relationship with your posture.

It is unlikely to be autoimmune in nature when it would not disappear so quickly.

There may be some venous insufficiency in the veins of the legs.

These veins may be leaky due to increased pressure due to pooling of blood during standing.

The defect may be in the surface or deep veins.

Duplex ultrasonography may be used to see whether there is venous insufficiency or not.

If you need clarifications, please ask. Press the ACCEPT button if I answered your question.
If you are satisfied please spend a few seconds for Positive Feed back. Bonus is appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please clarify. I don't understand your opinion or statement "when it would not disappear so quickly. The rash is still on my legs today after 2 days. Are you saying autoimmune related rashes disappear quickly, if so I beg to differ with you, knowing someone who has lupus and has the butterfly rashes. They do not disappear quickly. I don't mean to come off as a smart-ass, please don't take it that way. I certainly do not pretend to be smarter than you, I just know what I have seen this with lupus go through with the rashes. I will certainly check into getting the double doppler done on my legs to rule out circulatory. Please check further with what you can find though, before I accept. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
I meant that autoimmune rash will not disappear quickly.

Once it appears it will usually persist till some treatment is started.

In your case venous insufficiency or stasis dermatitis is one possibility I can make out from the history .

Final diagnosis can only be established by physical examination & visual impression of rash by the doctor.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience