A. Alexander, MD
A. Alexander, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Hospital Medicine Director
6189426

I have a lump by my jaw. It feels like a marble underneath ...

I have a lump by my jaw. It feels like a marble underneath my skin, I dont seem to have any symptoms yet. What might this be??
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Alexander, MD replied 8 years ago.
Customer

This is likely a swollen lymph node. The body is full of these lymph nodes (also incorrectly called "glands" by many people). These nodes are resposible for fighting infection. No surprisingly, the become noticable during a cold or flu or other type of illness. Normally they are about 1/4 inch, round and soft. They can swell temporarily to 1/2 inch or more.

Don't get too excited about it. Just keep track of it. If it stays the same size or gets smaller, you're fine. If it gets bigger over the next few weeks, then have a doctor look at it. Finally -- DO NOT RUB IT -- this will only inflame it an make it bigger!

See:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/swollen-lymph-nodes/DS00880

Regards...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to A. Alexander, MD's Post: Its acually like on my cheek. Im not sure if there are any glands there but it seems to be advancing very quickly. At this point there are two visible lumps on my cheek, close to my ear almost. Still I feel no symptoms. Im not sure if this will change your answer but please let me know because Im kinda worried if its like a cyst or something of that nature.

Mayer,

It could still be lymph nodes. It could also be a cyst as you mentioned, but these usually go away in a few days. Finally it could be acne or an abscess (deep skin infection with pus). These are usually painful and red.

In any case, if you are really concerned, then stop by an urgent care center in the next 1-2 days and have it looked at. It's very unlikely to be anything very serious at your age and given the location (cheek).

Finally, if you are a smoker, please stop. Whatever the lump is, the smoke will make it worse.

Regards...