Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I just swallowed a small amount of bleach. My coffee cup ...

I just swallowed a small amount of bleach. My coffee cup was really stained so I decided I would put some bleach in it and filled the remainer up with water. It sat all day. However, I have an injury where my doctor prescibed CYCLOBENZAPRINE as a muscle relaxer. I took 1/2 the pill because a whole one makes me tired. I threw the pill in my mouth, saw my coffee cup with water (forgetting I put bleach in it) and took a swig and swallowed. What was left in my mouth I spit out. I went to throw up in the bathroom where very little came out and all I did was give myself a headache. I ate a sandwich just a few minutes before and now drinking water bottle after water bottle. The bleach is household Clorox Fresh Meadow.
How long ago did you do this?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: About an hour ago.
Ingestion of bleach can cause damage to the mouth and the esophagus. Houshold bleaches ingestions (small amounts) are usually not that dangerous - however, the safest approach would be to get checked in the emergency room to be certain that there was no problem.

Your other option would be to call the local poison center 1-800-222-1222
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I called Poison control where I was told not to worry since there is no burning sensations or upset stomach. I did tell my wife how much insurance money she's getting if I don't make it. Bless her heart she told me to rest all night..Frown
Without symptoms, this is very reasonable. If you do develop any symptoms a trip to the ER would be appropriate.