How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720
Type Your Health Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just swallowed a small amount of bleach. My coffee cup ...

This answer was rated:

I just swallowed a small amount of bleach. My coffee cup was really stained so I decided I would put some bleach in it and filled the remainer up with water. It sat all day. However, I have an injury where my doctor prescibed CYCLOBENZAPRINE as a muscle relaxer. I took 1/2 the pill because a whole one makes me tired. I threw the pill in my mouth, saw my coffee cup with water (forgetting I put bleach in it) and took a swig and swallowed. What was left in my mouth I spit out. I went to throw up in the bathroom where very little came out and all I did was give myself a headache. I ate a sandwich just a few minutes before and now drinking water bottle after water bottle. The bleach is household Clorox Fresh Meadow.
How long ago did you do this?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: About an hour ago.
Ingestion of bleach can cause damage to the mouth and the esophagus. Houshold bleaches ingestions (small amounts) are usually not that dangerous - however, the safest approach would be to get checked in the emergency room to be certain that there was no problem.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/MHMI/mmg184.html

Your other option would be to call the local poison center 1-800-222-1222
Family Physician and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I called Poison control where I was told not to worry since there is no burning sensations or upset stomach. I did tell my wife how much insurance money she's getting if I don't make it. Bless her heart she told me to rest all night..Frown
Without symptoms, this is very reasonable. If you do develop any symptoms a trip to the ER would be appropriate.

Related Health Questions