Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

Used an enema for constipation and it didnt ...

Used an enema for constipation and it didn''t work. The box says see a doctor if it doesn''t work. Do I need to go to emergency?
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

When was your last BM?

Did you ever use an enema before?

Do you have chronic constipaion?

Do you have any known health problems?

Take any medications?

Thanks!

Terry

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terry's Post: Tuesday.
Yes. but not often.
Sort of... not sure. Weird stomach issues in general.
No.
Xanex and occasional painkillers.
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

You do not need to go to the ER because the enema did not work. You didn't state what your 'weird' stomach issues are. Since you did pass stool yesterday (Tuesday), I'm not sure why you think you are constipated. Could you explain what you are experiencing so I can try to help. Are salads, vegetables and fruit, part of your diet?

Thank you,

Terry

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terry's Post: Sorry, I said tuesday, I meant sunday. The one before that was last tuesday-- sorry for the confusion. Didn't sleep well.

I've been having stomach pains for a while. Just had tests done on my gallbladder. I have digestive troubles in general and tend to be either constipated or the opposite. ) :
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for the extra information.

So, you are moving your bowels, that is good.

Are your stools hard or difficult to pass?

How often do you have 'the opposite problem (diarrhea)?

What is the doctor finding or suggesting that you do?

Thank you,

Terry

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
difficult, generally. I'm not sure about the frequency of the other. I tend to overcompensate with laxatives sometimes, so that probably causes that issue. That was the case on sunday.
The doctor has told me to drink more water... that's about it. As I said, I'm waiting on results of a gallbladder test. I should probably call him anyway...
My stomach is also making a lot of odd noises if that helps at all...
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

'Odd noises' coming from the stomach indicates bowel sounds and that is a good thing because gas, etc. is moving around. You do need to drink plenty of water to soften the bulk of your stool. Frequent laxatives can create a dependency on them. Your bowel habits depend on the foods you eat and how much you exercise, along with other things. I am including a website below for you to look at. It lists all the high fiber foods that you can add to your diet to promote easier bowel habits. It takes time and patience to create the change in your body. Please read the website and enjoy it!

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/constipation_ez/

Sincerely,

Terry