Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I can feel a small lump just behind my tongue, is that ...

Customer Question

I can feel a small lump just behind my tongue, is that normal? I have experienced mild discomfort in that area as well as both ears aching
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 8 years ago.

Hi,Customer , You should consult a doctor to evaluate you .

This small lump behind your tongue and earache could be caused by :

1- Throat swelling

2- Throat Infection

Like your throat and your ear are communicated ,in most cases ,throat pain is accompanied by ear pain .

Other possibility that should also be ruled out is an Ear Infection .

Your doctor will need to perform a CBC,Blood tests , a throat culture and an ear and throat physical examination .

With these tests , Your doctor will be able to determine if you have an infection or if this is only an inflammatory process , he will also determine what is the adequate treatment and he will prescribe you Antibiotics if it is necessary .

If you like the answer,please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated .

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX initially experienced tightness of the neck which has subsided. This was followed by the throat pain & ear aches. My doctor has seen the throat but he failed to locate the lump and I didnt notice it till tonight. Could these also be nicotine withdrawal symptoms? I am trying to quit chewing after 20 years which is why I'm concerned. A lot of the symptoms mirror the ones for cancer and now I find this lump (more like a small linear swelling). I have no trouble swallowing, I'm taking CHANTIX and RANTIDINE for reflux. Could reflux cause swelling as well?

Hi, Customer, what you are experiencing are not typical nicotine withdrawal symptoms .

But acid reflux can effectively produce throat pain and swelling .

If Your doctor has not given you a specific diagnose , You should consult an ENT or Otholaryngologist Specialist to have a further evaluation .

If you like the answer, please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated .