Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor (MD): Board-Certified Family Doctor

I have a hard lump on the inside of my knee--It feels like ...

I have a hard lump on the inside of my knee--It feels like it could be the size of a baseball almost--It's very hard--maybe bone? I fell off a bike last October and that is the only type of injury I can remember, but I've had this come up since then--for the past 6 or 7 months. It hurts when I squat down etc. close to unbearable. Any ideas?

Is it easier to feel 'the lump' via the FRONT [anterior] or BACK [posterior] aspect of the knee?

Are you able to FULLY flex and extend the knee?

Dr. Steve

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Steve's Post: The lump is felt from the side--it is the right knee--the lump is on the side facing inside. I can fully extend it and it doesn't hurt to walk or use the knee unless I've squated down (such as I did today laying mulch)--then it hurts to walk for a little while but it's not unbearable--just uncomfortable--it can be unbearable to squat though and seems the more I do the worse it gets and seems it has gotten larger today after activity. And when I'm laying down--I cannot let the other leg lay on top of the knee--it's uncomfortable to do so.

Based on the info you provided, I see 3 reasonable possibilities for what this is:

All three are serious Orthopedic conditions, requiring Specialist-Doctor's expertise for proper management, so I highly recommend that you consult an Orthopedic Surgeon soon. A detailed knee exam plus imaging study [such as Knee MRI], plus possible biopsy if needed, should clinch the exact Diagnosis, which is always the FIRST step to getting the appropriate treatment.

Hope this helps--let me know if you have a followup,

Dr. Steve