Victoria
Victoria, Chiropractor
Experience:  25 years overall experience in health care from hospital-based intensive care to private practice
9768737

i am always tired; low energy and feel i have to force ...

i am always tired; low energy and feel i have to force myself to get out of bed and struggle with motivation. i eat a fairly balanced diet and have been told i am borderline anemic and have taken iron off and on for several years but it doesn''t help. could there be another cause for my symptoms? i am 21 years old and 110 lbs
Category: Health
Expert:  Victoria replied 6 years ago.

I would like to ask you a few mor questions.

Do you suffer from any joint pain or discomfort or stiffness chronically?

Do you have trouble falling asleep or sleeping through the night or early morning wakening and cannot get back to sleep? How many hours of sleep do you get per night?

Are you worried about anything or has there been any recent big changes in your life such as a death, loss of a pet, moving to a new area, leaving for college, etc.? [can be positive or negative stress(es)]

Do you feel "down" in general emotionally?

When you sit at a long stoplight when driving or watch TV, do you tend to "nod off"?

Thank you for your patience in responding to my questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Victoria's Post: i do not suffer joint pain but one episode where my elbows really swelled and were red and inflamed; i assumed it was an allergic reaction to something i had eaten

my sleep varies but i tend to average 9 - 11 hours per night and would sleep more but force myself to get up because my day is wasting away and i am a university student

i recently lost my father, but i am working through that and although i do feel intense grief at times, i am functioning ok and besides, i have suffered with these symptoms nearly my whole life

i do feel down sometimes but i don't dwell on it and can talk to my mom and we have a great support system to help us through

when i sit in place i do not drift, but i will begin to feel tired and if i lay down i will sleep so if i need to move on, i get up and move around

thanks
Expert:  Victoria replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

Can you tell me a little more about the episode of elbow pain?

How long ago did the happen? Did it occur to both elbows at the same time? Did the pain self-limit or go away on its own after a few days or did you seek treatment and if so what was the diagnosis at that time?

Do you have known allergies? Do you have skin problems in general? If so, describe.

Thanks again for your patience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Victoria's Post: this one incident occurred about ten years ago but was intenst; i ate strawberries and blueberries with my oatmeal and within 5 mins i began to feel hot in my joints; wrists, elbows, knees, ankles and toes; they all swelled up and i had huge hives on them; i panicked went to my mother and she gave me benedryl; it lasted approximately an hour and i crashed with the benedryl. after that i used the process of elimination and tried each of the ingredients but had no reaction; then i tried them all together again and no reaction. that hadn't happened before since. i was tested for the normal allergins and all were negative. i did suffer with stress and exertion migranes and headaches since childhood but since seeing a chiropractor have not been bothered other than and occasional headache; more recently i have become seriously affected by environmental allergens and during the season use sudafed and antihisthamine eyedrops to get through

i have mild to moderate skin problems; small pimples or bumps on my face back and shoulders i am thinkning perhaps i am sensitive to soaps or other detergents or something
Expert:  Victoria replied 6 years ago.

I would recommend that you get a comprehensive work up/testing for allergies, as well as a blood tests, specifically to look for evidence of an autoimmune process. Even though I am not convinced that an autoimmune problem is the answer, it is worthwhile to do some testing as one of the hallmarks of nearly all autoimmune pathologies is chronic, inexplicable fatigue. Chronic allergen exposure is also associated with this and since you have had this problem, seemingly your whole life, you may have a reduced tolerance for certain food products that are commonly found throughout packaged food such as lecithin which is used as an emulsifier and lubricant or sodium lauryl sulfate found in soaps and skin products.

The other concern, of course, is depression due to an imbalance in neurotransmitter functioning which could have existed your whole or most of your life. I know you have a solid support group and are very conscious of trying to manage your grief in an effective and healthy way, but I would not entirely dismiss this possibility, particularly, if you had a childhood that left chronically grappling with uncertainty or anxiety which can effect the development of brain pathway patterns.

In menstruating women, slight or borderline anemia due to "iron poor blood" is very common and taking iron can correct that and any associated fatigue. The kind of fatigue you describe is more likely to be associated with overt anemia, than that borderline or low normal.

Hopefully this information has been of value to you. Follow up questions are always welcome. Please do not forget to press accept if you found my services of value, so that I may get credit for my work. Positive feedback and bonuses are also very much appreciated. Thank you.
Victoria, Chiropractor
Experience: 25 years overall experience in health care from hospital-based intensive care to private practice