dr.vikrambhatt, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician with vast experience in active medical practice.

I have severe pain under my left lung, and a little above ...

I have severe pain under my left lung, and a little above the waist. I think I should go for an exray.   I had the pain last week, and it went away, and just came back, even worse than before. It hurts the most when I take a breath.
Category: Health
Expert:  dr.vikrambhatt replied 8 years ago.

Is the pain occuring in abdomen below the ribs? do you have nausea? Is the pain consistent ? on a scale of 1 to 10 how will you rate this pain ?

Are you having regular bowel movements? Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to dr.vikrambhatt's Post: Below the ribs, but above waist. The pain is about a 7. No nausea. Regular bowel movements. No other symptoms.

Well, this can be due to these common causes

There can be a few causes for such pain -

-uretric colic - This is pain due to spasm of the ureter The cause can be a urinary stone, vesicouretric reflux, urinary tract infection

- ovarian cyst - a growth or cyst of the left sided ovary

- Intestinal problems like diverticulitis, infection etc.Other common cause are IBS, constipation.

The cause of the severe pain needs to be diagnosed and treated. I would advice you to consult your doctor ASAP or if the pain worsens go to ER. You will need a detailed examination and investigations including and ultrasound. In the meantime take an oral painkiller, take a light diet or fluids and rest.