Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

I have this open sore in the back of my mouth that has been ...

Customer Question

I have this open sore in the back of my mouth that has been deveoping. Initially it was thought to be strep as it was infectuous colors (green/yellow/purple etc) but a throat culture showed normal. I am not experiencing any abnormal tiredness or aches. The colors did go away and left a whitish patch resembling a scab in the back of my throat on my right tonsil. Two nights ago, it opened up and there is currently a large hole back there. Someone mentioned that it could be an excessively large canker sore so I rinsed with Pepto and it helped some. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 6 years ago.

Is the sore on the tonsil very painful?

Do you still have the white patch on the tonsil?

Any irritation around the pathc, difficulty in swallowing, a sensation of 'something sticking in the throat'?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: Yes it has been quite painful to swallow. On a scale 1-10 it would be a 6+. The past couple of days has been a little better painwise. The white patch is mostly gone but where it was, there is now a large hole/crevass about 3/4" and pretty deep. It is only on the right tonsil. I wouldn't say it feels like something is sticking in my throat. I can feel it there but it doesn't make me want to cough it up or anything like that.

Although Canker sore does occur quite frequently on the tonsils, an ulcer in the mouth or throat shoudl always be examined by an ENT specialist to rule out any maliganay and to confirm that uit is indeed a cancer sore.

Canker sore is usually the result of an infection or a trauma by hard food or by an allergic reaction to food or medicine.

In your case, it is likely that you gat an infection earlier which has now devloped into a cancker sore.

Most canker sores heal spontaneously in 1- 3 weeks although larger ones can take upto 4 weeks.

To encourage the sore to heal early and to prevent infection, please use a mouth wash containing Chlorhexidene, available OTC, for gargling - chlorhexidene is a very good oral antiseptic and will help to keep bacterial infections under control. Warm water with 2 tsf of salt mixed in it is also a good mouthwash.

Drink plenty of water - at least 8 glasses daily to keep the mouth clean and moist.

Take Motrin 500mg twice daily after food for 7 days to decrease the pain and inflammation.

Please get an ENT checkup as early as you can.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: is it very common for canker sores to become gaping holes or to becoem open at all? That is the biggest part that worries me.

If infection occus in a canker sore, then yes, there may be a hole. Stripping off of the white scab can also cause the hole.

But, having an open ulcer or hole can also be due to other causes ,so it is better to get an ENT consult to confirm that what you have is indeed a canker sore and not anything else.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: Sounds good, thanks!
You are welcome.