AndeeRN, Nurse
Experience:  28 years in nursing. Emergency, cardiac, internal medicine, triage for adults and pediatric patient

What is the difference between RX Potassiium CL 10 MEQ Cap ...

What is the difference between RX Potassiium CL 10 MEQ Cap SA and over the counter Potassium Gluconate 550 mg suppliment

Potassium gluconate 550mg has about 90mg of potassium (please check the label). That being said, the 90mg of potassium comes out to about 2.3mEq of Potassium.

So, you would need to take 4-5 potassium gluconate to make one potassium chloride 10mEq. BUT, you need the chloride in the potassium chloride usually.

Please check with your physician before substituting any medications by prescription for something over the counter.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best wishes,