Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Why would the top of my foot go numb

Woke up with the top of my foot, some toes and ankle numb.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 9 years ago.

Hello

The numbness you are having can have all kinds of different causes, as it is a symptom of many different diseases.The complaints you have described suggests that there may be some pressure on or damage to that nerve where it emerges from the spinal column supplying the foot. Other possibilities are:high blood pressure, diabetes, multiple sclerosis,stroke,transient ischemic attack.Also this can be due to :Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications,

The underlying cause of numbness or tingling should be identified and then treated by your doctor.Tests like electromyography and nerve conduction studies,certain blood tests,electro physiological studies are required to make the exact diagnosis.I suggest you to make an appointment with a neurologist to know the exact cause & hence its treatment.

Take care.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Would alcohol have anything to do with it? Did have an enormous hangover with the numbness and I high slightly high blood pressure, never perscribed medication for it, but does run in my family. And, had a real light bloody nose out of nowhere after the numbness started .

Alcohol is not directly related with numbness,but it can aggrevate certain conditions which can cause numbness.Yes,high blood pressure may cause numbness.You need a checkup from your doctor.The underlying cause of numbness or tingling should be identified and then treated by your doctor.I suggest you to make an appointment with a neurologist to know the exact cause & hence its treatment.

Hope my answers had helped.