When EXACTLY did pain start?
Is it constant, or intermittent?
Do you feel any lump/swelling/mass when you palpate the site?
Any GI symptoms [gas, nausea, heartburn, bloating]?
Any urinary symptoms [frequency, burning, blood]?
Is it CLOSER to the side [just above hip], or closer to abdomen [more medial]?
Once you've answered these questions with clear, well-thought out answers, I will reply with my Expert Opinion. Your answers will enable me to get closer to an accurate assessment, which is critical to obtaining successful treatment or cure.
Thanks, --Dr. Steve, Your Online Family Doctor
Here are the MAJOR conditions I'm thinking of, based on the history given:
Given that--you really need to see a doctor [Internist or GI], for thorough physical exam, plus tests:
This is only way to elucidate the CORRECT diagnosis, which is always the first step to getting proper treatment.
Hope this helps,
[now you're realizing some of the limitations of email-healthcare...nothing quite like face-to-face exam for localizing a part of anatomy]
1. A URETERAL stone could be in that location, or be 'referred pain'
2. Yes--a left ovrian cyst [or mass lesion] also would be in the 'Differential Diagnosis'
3. Not too far for bowel problem [some of your bowels do come very close to that location]
4. Certain sitting/lying positions tend to "scrunch up" or apply extra pressure to organs and nerves, thereby exacerbating the pain
5. Again--you need a Complete Exam and workup, as noted above [CT scan will be extremely helpful]
IF you found this helpful--please 'ACCEPT' so I can be credited for my time,
I can sympathize with your angst [believe me--I've been there too: 'Med Student Syndrome'].
First--the 'ovarian pathology' option is just ONE of several possible conditions it could be; within that--an ovarian cyst[s] is much more likely than ovarian cancer; yet-ovarian cancer cannot be ruled out at this point. I do feel you should have an imaging study done: either U/S [you say last one was "years ago"] or CT/MRI scan to rule it out.
I see no problem with waiting this out for 7-10 days, to see if all resolves spontaneously.
Please feel free to recontact me afterwards.
Hopes and prayers that everything will turn out fine, [it usually does]