Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

Is it true that a hot malta goya drink(malt ...

Customer Question

Is it true that a hot "malta goya" drink(malt beverage) can cause a miscarriage? If yes I would like to know why?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.
Customer

Even though this is touted as non-alcoholic, it still contains some alcohol. As such, it would cause birth defects, and not a miscarriage. No one knows exactly what harmful effects even the smallest amount of alcohol has on a baby, so many experts suggest to completely steer clear of alcohol if you are pregnant.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Annie's Post: My friend had a friend that she didn't wanna have the baby and she drank 6 bottles of that drink "malta goya" hot. And she miscarriaged. So what can u say about that?
Customer

It's possible that this is just a coincidance and is not related to the miscarriage. There is no ingredients in this beverage that would normally cause a miscarriage.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is it dangerous to have an abortion?
Customer

Abortion is generally very safe when done by health professionals. It does not reduce your chance of getting pregnant in the future. However, you should not rely on abortions as a contraceptive method and you should talk to your doctor about what type of contraceptive measure is right for you, if pregnancy is not intended. You can read more about abortion here
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/birth-control-pregnancy/abortion/choosing-abortion.htm
If you are unsure if you are pregnant or not, your best bet is to wait at least two weeks after a missed period, and see your doctor for a blood pregnancy test as this is the most accurate way of testing.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well... I'm gonna be 9 weeks on saturday. I've been feeling really really depressed. This pregnancy was unplanned. The father is happy but iam not. I never had an abortion just to think about its a scary thought. But is 9 weeks to long? Is it still an embryo or a fetus? How big is it at 9 weeks? How far is the limitations to have an abortion?
Customer

At this stage it is a fetus if you are 9 weeks from fertilization. An abortion can only be done up to the second trimester, so 13 to 24 weeks. This would either involve a dilation and evacuation (D&E). Early pregnancy is terminated either medically or surgically. You can read more here
http://health.yahoo.com/topic/reproductive/treatment/article/healthwise
/tw1043;_ylt=Asxfp8vS8EkQTtXt6GTXjoaQ7M8F
At 9 weeks a fetus is almost an inch long.