Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I have had a strange slightly raised red circular spot ...

I have had a strange slightly raised red circular spot on my chest for about 6 months. It seems to be getting larger over time. I just woke up this morning and there are two new red circular spots that are developing on my chest now. What could thee spots be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Hello, can you describe the appearance of the area?

What size is the spots?

Are you able to take a digital photo so we can look at the area?

Have you used any creams or treatments?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The original spot is about an inch in diameter, the two new spots are about the size of a button. The spots are red and just slightly raised off the skin. The first spot developed about 5-6 months ago and has been growing in size since. I cant take a picture as of now but could within the next day. They look kind of like a ring worm would, but they do not itch, and they are not crusty or flakey. I have not used any creams as it does not itch.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

There are few things that need to be ruled out. Ringworm is a common cause of a flat red area, and we would expect the area in the center to become more pink as the ring spreads. The other possibility is eczema and this is usually an atopic problem that responds to mild steroids.

The other circular rash that we want to rule out is Lyme Disease following exposure to a tick. Have a look at this site: here

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Pauline's Post: the red spots are perfectly circular and grow in size over time. they are slightly raised but only noticable when touched. they start out the size of a pea ans slowly continue to grow outward. it does not itch so i dont think its ring worm. my main concern is that it is cancer or something along those lines.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have taken pictures how can i attach them so you can get a better idea of what the spots look like.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

If you have the advanced toolbar, then use the tree icon to load the image although this may depend on the size. If you have problems, email the images to info@justanswer.com who will upload them for you.

I will be in theatre today, but will look at them once I'm free if that is satisfactory for you.

Is there a reason why you are especially worried about cancer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will be sending two pictures of the red spots as a reply to the last e-mail that was sent to me from you saying that you would look at the images. There is no specific reason for worrying about cancer, I just have bad anxiety and fear the worst in all cases. Please let me know if you get the pictures and what you think. I have not forgotten to pay you I just want to make sure you see what these spots look like, and give me a better idea as to what im dealing with. I will be at work all day but will check back tonight to see if you have responded.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the first image is the original spot that i have had for around 6 months. It has continued to grow in size, and become darker in color. The second picture is of the two new spots I found on my chest yesterday. They are smaller and not as defined in color. These new spots are what the original spot started out as. Let me know what it looks like to you. As I said I will be at work all day, but will check back with you later tonight. Thank you.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the photographs they are very useful. I would suggest ten days of clotrimazole or miconazole 1% cream twice daily to rule out fungal infections. Although I would have expected them to continue to grow more in size, the appearance is that of fungal.

Once we know anti-fungals do not work then you can use a hydrocortisone 1% cream twice daily for 7 days. That should make a good improvement in their appearance if this is eczema and if there is no response to that you should see a dermatologist for skin scraping.

They do not look sinister and within a few weeks should be looking much better.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so if it is a fungal area how likely is it that i would have them for up to six months. and how likely is it that more are starting to appear. I just worry alot and I want to make sure it isnt anything bad. Do fungal spots stay on your skin over long periods of time. Do they go away by themself or is the only way to rid them by some type of treatment
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
also is it strange that it doesnt itch.
Expert:  Pauline replied 6 years ago.
If you have not treated them, then there is not reason for them to improve so you do need to do something with them and the easiest way to establish cause is to try the cream. Tests at dermatologists would cost a lot of money and take a while to come back.
As a young healthy male then it is reasonable for this not to have spread in multiple areas. The itch is not necessary a factor, often the skin itches simply because it is dry and stretched. Eczema would be more inclined to be itchy rather than fungal.